Last week my parents were on vacation. And the apples in their apple tree were ready to pick. And I ran out of fruits! Soooo I decided to pick some apples from their tree, since my mother told me to do so before she went to France. I always listen to what my mama says. I’ve Always done that and I will not tell you my mothers name in case you want to verify something.
When I arrived at my parents’ house it was almost 9 a.m and I was shocked for the rest of the day! The window next to the front door was broken and through the hole in it I saw a terrible mess. All drawers in the hall were open, shoes laid all over the floor etc. You don’t have to be a Sherlock to understand what happened: Some burglars has visited my parents house!
I called the police, I called one of my sisters who lives in the same neighbourhood as my parents do, and I didn’t call my parents since there was nothing they could do and I didn’t want to ruin their last vacation days.
To make a long story short: It turned out that the burglars took all the gold and silver my parents had. Some of the things they took with them were inherited and they had not only a money value but also a big emotional value. STUPID BURGLARS!
I asked a police man what you can do to prevent your houses, other than a regular alarm and he gave me some good advises. And because I’m sure burglars are never welcome, never mind where you live, I made a list of these advises. Here it is.
1. Even if you don’t have a dog, put a dogs strap on your porch. Burglars might think there’s a big dog in your house that will bark when they come in.
2. Don’t use decoration in your garden that a burglar can use as a tool, i.e. a stone that can be used to break a window.
3. Always close all your windows when you leave your house. Sounds logic but hey, Am I the only one who let the windows on the first floor open when I go to the play ground with my youngest? (Please say no )
4. Don’t hide your keys in your garden for your child. Burglars knows exactly where to find them.
In holiday seasons a lot of burglars take a look by day to find out who’s on vacation and who isn’t. So let your house look like you’re at home.
5. Put a coffee cup on your table.
6. Hang your coat on your chair so it looks like someone just came in.
7. Put an open magazine or book on your sofa.
8. Ask your neighbour to remove your mail from your mailbox and let them nót pile it on the table.
9. Ask your neighbour to play with your curtains and shutters. When they were wide open yesterday and half closed today burglars will notice that!
10. Put a time clock on your lights.
11. If you have little children: put some toys on the floor.
12. Bring your gold and silver to someone who isn’t on vacation so they can lock it in their save. Most burglars will not try to get a save open when they know the residents are at home.
How do you protect your house from burglars?